Wednesday, May 21, 2014



Cenote

Cenotes are some of the few sources of fresh water in the Yucatán peninsula, a fact that explains their sacredness to the Mayans. As such, it is a symbolic source of life that I wanted to demonstrate in this piece. This semester saw me grow in a way embodied by the phrase, “let it go.” For long, I held on to identities that ironically led to struggle, so letting go was indirectly a source of rejuvenation. This feeling was present in the week of the Cenote theme – strong enough to brightly color my imagination a few weeks after the original drawing was stolen. The image is exactly as I remember it (which does not mean that it’s an exact replica) except for the silhouette of the man who has finally begun to let go. His outline is more pronounced and the colors and brushstrokes are more varied. I wished to give the man more contrast in relation to the surrounding scene, a field of energy that I picture when I see the bright blues and greens of a cenote. The green strokes needed to be fluid in order to capture energy moving through water.



No comments:

Post a Comment